Read Write Inc, developed by Ruth Miskin, provides a structured and systematic approach to teaching literacy. It is used by more than a quarter of the UK’s primary schools and is designed to create fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
The Government strongly recommend the use of synthetic phonics when teaching early literacy skills to children. Synthetic phonics is simply the ability to convert a letter or letter group into sounds that are then blended together into a word.
Each Read Write Inc. programme meets the higher expectations of the new curriculum and uses effective assessment to accelerate every child’s progress.
Here at Carlton Mills Primary School, we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their English. RWI is a method of learning based upon letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
Children’s progress is assessed regularly and tracked using internal tracking procedures. Class teacher and the Reading Leader meet regularly to assess and review. At Carlton Mills Primary we vertically stream KS1 children to provide purposeful and impacting teaching and learning.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions:
- Purpose know the purpose of every activity and share it with the children, so they know the one thing they should be thinking about.
- Participation ensure every child participates throughout the lesson. Partnership work is fundamental to learning.
- Praise ensure children are praised for effort and learning, not ability.
- Pace teach at an effective pace and devote every moment to teaching and learning.
- Passion be passionate about teaching so children can be engaged.
Our Read Write Inc ‘Reading Leader’ is Mr. Dunn (Assistant Headteacher and English Lead)